The Spanish major learning goals illustrate the ideals that the faculty members will work towards to support students’ academic experience at UC Merced. The following program learning outcomes (PLOs) describe the specific skills and knowledge base that students will demonstrate upon completion of the major in Spanish.
- Demonstrate Spanish writing and reading skills equivalent to at least the advanced-high level of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Proficiency Guidelines.
- Demonstrate Spanish speaking and listening skills equivalent to at least the advanced-high level of the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines.
- Explain and apply the major theoretical perspectives in literary analysis.
- Identify and apply linguistic concepts pertinent to the Spanish language when analyzing writing and oral, literary and non-literary texts.
- Articulate similarities and differences within the cultures of the Hispanic world by discerning the main topics and characteristics of different historical periods, and by analyzing literary and non-literary texts in light of their historical embedment in the Latin American, US Latino and Spanish contexts.